Financial Rights Legal Centre
Call our National Debt Helpline
on 1800 007 007.
Aboriginal Advice Service

ATSI Poster FINAL (Financial Rights)

Phone 1800 808 488

9.30 AM TO 4.30 PM

The Aboriginal Advice Service is a free legal advice service about money matters for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from anywhere in a Australia. We specialise in the law about consumer loans (like credit cards, pay day loans, car loans and home loans), banking, debt recovery and insurance (like car, home, travel, life, funeral, pet insurance).

Financial Rights Legal Centre is a specialist community legal centre. We are a non-government, non-profit organisation. We provide information, advice and assistance to individuals and also argue for a fairer financial services market for consumers, particularly low income and disadvantaged consumers.

To read more about our Centre go to About Us.

How we can help you.

We provide free telephone legal advice about credit, debt, banking and insurance.

In some cases we may assist you further by:

  • Negotiating with your bank, insurer or other lender/debt collector, or
  • Helping you to argue your case in a free external dispute resolution service (like the Financial Ombudsman Service), or
  • Representing you in court (only rarely).

We may also refer you to other organisations which may be able to help you, particularly if you have a matter in the court of a State or Territory outside NSW (where our office is located), or there is another reason why a local service would be better for you.

Your Privacy

The Financial Rights Legal Centre is a confidential service.

We will ask for your personal details and details about your problem (such as the name of the debt collector, and the amount of the loan) so that we can give you the right advice. We will keep this information so that we can see what we have talked about before if you ring us back. We will also use it to call you back if we realise there is something else we can tell you to help you.

We will not share this information with anybody outside this service.

We will not provide this information to the government and other funding bodies except as anonymous records of how many people have called us, their general characteristics (male, female, postcode, language etc.), and the sorts of problems they have called about.

You can read our Privacy & Confidentiality Policy here.

Contacting us

Legal advice is available by talking to one of our solicitors over the phone by calling 1800 808 488. Sometimes our Aboriginal Outreach Coordinator may answer the phone. He will talk to you about your problem and get one of our solicitors to call you back.

If you are having difficulty getting through to us, please be patient and persistent – we are a small service with limited resources and we are often very busy!  You can leave a message and we will call you back.

Legal resources available online

Although we are currently developing some targeted legal resources for Aboriginal people that you will be able to print from our website, they are not yet ready.  There are general resources under Fact Sheets on this website. We also recommend that you visit ASIC’s website with money tips for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people:

Need an Interpreter or have a hearing disability?

Interpreters are available by calling 131 450, and for the hearing or speech impaired, we recommend the National Relay Service which is a service provided by the Australian Communication Exchange (TTY) 133 677 (SRS) 1300 555 727.

If you are having difficulty contacting our advice service because of a disability or problems using an interpreter service, please let us know on our administration line (02) 9212 4216.

What YOU should do BEFORE you call.

  • If possible, get any paperwork about your problem ready so that you can tall us what it says. For example:
    • Letters received
    • Bills and account statements
    • Court papers
    • Contracts
  • Please have a PEN and PAPER handy, as we will often give you phone numbers to call or websites to visit.

Problems we can’t help with

We can’t help if you are ringing about:

  • a business (e.g. a business loan or insurance taken out to protect a business)
  • an investment (or a loan or insurance taken out to buy or protect an investment)
  • Home Warranty Insurance
  • Workers Compensation
  • Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP/Greenslip)
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance
  • Public and Product Liability Insurance
  • Health Insurance
  • Landlord’s Insurance
  • Pleasure Craft
  • Strata Insurance
  • Motor vehicle accidents where no one is insured

If you are ringing for someone else, we will only be able to give you very general information. If possible you should encourage the person who has the problem to call us themselves, or to be there with you and able to talk to us too.