Instructions to Users:
Step 1: Read our Legal Information Factsheet
You should consider reading our legal factsheet “Dispute Resolution (Insurance)”.
Step 2: Find the correct address to send this letter to your insurer
You will need to send this request to your insurer’s internal dispute resolution contact.
- Click here to get these details from the Financial Ombudsman Australia (FOS) website [Use Find a Financial Services Provider].
- If you cannot find the insurer using the financial service provider search function on the home pages of FOS, call 1800 367 287 and ask for the insurer’s IDR contact details.
Step 3: Complete the questions below
- Answer the questions below to customise your letter.
- Once you have completed the questions click the Preview Letter button below. The letter generator will prompt you if there is missing information.
- If you realise you need to change your answers, use the Click here to change your selections feature, above or below the previewed letter. Do NOT use the back arrows on the address bar or you will need to start all over again.
Step 4: Copy & Paste the letter into your Email or Word program, and send it!
- You will need to copy & paste the generated letter into your email or into a Word document in order to send the letter to the other party.
- Once you have pasted the generated letter into your own email or Word program you can make additional changes to the main text of the letter, however we do not advise deleting any of the legal content that has been automatically generated.
IMPORTANT: Once you have raised a dispute the insurance company have up to 45 days to respond to your complaint. Once 45 days has passed you can lodge a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman Service Australia (FOS) at www.fos.org.au.
This letter should be used for information only and should not be relied upon as legal advice.