Financial Rights uses the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) to help non-English speaking and hearing impaired callers understand our financial counselling and legal advice. TIS National is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.
TIS National has access to over 2,900 contracted interpreters across Australia speaking more than 160 languages and dialects.
If you need an interpreter, please ask one of our financial counsellors or solicitors to contact one. Otherwise TIS National’s immediate phone interpreting service is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year by calling 131 450.
How to access an immediate phone interpreter
- Call TIS National on 131 450.
- When you are connected to a TIS National operator, say the language you need.
- Stay on the line while the operator finds an available interpreter for you.
- The operator will connect you with an interpreter in the language you asked for. You will be asked to provide:
- your name
- the name of the organisation you need to contact
- the phone number of the organisation you need to contact.
- Stay on the line while the operator connects you and the interpreter through to the organisation.
For more information you can download these brochures: