Financial Rights Legal Centre Inc (Financial Rights) is a community based legal centre in Surry Hills specialising in helping consumers of financial services, particularly credit, banking, insurance and debt.
We are seeking to employ a full time, enthusiastic Communications Officer to support the policy and advocacy work of Financial Rights for a 12 month contract. The role provides an opportunity to contribute to the consumer rights advocacy work of Financial Rights in helping reform the banking, insurance and superannuation sectors following the Financial Services Royal Commission. This would be a great job for a communications graduate who is interested in doing social justice work as well as coming up with creative communications solutions for a fast paced legal centre.
The Communications Officer will work as part of Financial Rights’ small policy team to:
- Develop, implement and maintain the Financial Rights’ communications plan;
- Liaise, engage and manage stakeholder relationships, particularly media stakeholders, to promote financial services consumer protection;
- Manage, enhance and promote the information resources across our three websites and enhance and maintain our publications in the digital environment;
- Coordinate, draft, prepare, sub-edit and edit public facing written material including our E-flyer, media releases, Annual Reports, op-eds, publicity material, factsheets etc.;
- Manage our digital resources and liaise with our technology providers to maintain our websites; and
- Liaise with the internal stakeholders, including legal and financial counselling teams to help collect case studies of systemic policy value arising from the Centre’s casework.
To be successful you will have:
- digital technology and design skills and a willingness to develop these skills further;
- knowledge of and experience in communications work (or hold a degree in communications or related area);
- a real interest in consumer rights, social justice and the financial services sector (or at least a curiosity and openness to engaging with the multitude of issues facing banking, insurance and superannuation consumers);
- excellent written and verbal communication, in particular, ability to write for a variety of audiences;
- high levels of attention to detail and quality;
- a strong sense of integrity, professionalism and pride in your work;
- well-developed interpersonal skills that help build relationships with key media and industry stakeholders;
- a self-starting attitude and a willingness to do the grunt work;
- creative and strategic thinking and planning with an ability to think through and solve issues in a proactive manner;
- project management skills;
- tertiary qualification/s in a relevant discipline.
What’s in it for you
Our legal centre is a known and trusted voice for consumers in the financial services space. We are doing important frontline work advising consumers from across Australia about their rights and helping shape new laws in the aftermath of the Royal Commission. You will be an important part of this process and can help change many consumer lives for the better.
The Centre offers a pleasant working environment along with a small, friendly and passionate team. We know diversity makes a positive difference, and we encourage people from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
This would be a great role for a graduate or somebody keen to build their skills as a communications officer.
Download an information pack by clicking on the 5 links below. If you have any questions, please call 02 9212 4216 or email email@example.com
Selection criteria must be addressed.
Applications close Monday 14th October 2019.