Happy Holidays! The National Debt Helpline (1800 007 007) will operate over holiday period (excluding public holidays). The Insurance Law Service will be closed from 22 December 2017 and will re-open 9:30am Monday 8 January 2018.
Phone 1800 007 007
MONDAY TO FRIDAY
9.30 AM TO 4.30 PM
Financial Rights Legal Centre is a community legal centre specialising in financial services, particularly individual cases and policy issues related to consumer credit, banking and debt recovery. It is the only such Centre in NSW, and it has a particular focus on issues that affect low income and disadvantaged consumers. We also provide financial counselling information, advice and referral services to individual consumers in NSW on credit, debt and banking issues.
To read more about our Centre go to About Us.
Our services: How we can help you.
We provide free telephone legal advice and financial counselling to NSW consumers on credit, debt and banking matters. However we cannot provide advice to businesses.
Our Centre consists of a team of solicitors and financial counsellors. When you call we will usually only give you legal and financial advice on what YOU CAN DO to resolve you credit, debt or banking situation.
Legal advice and financial counselling is available by talking to one of our solicitors or financial counsellors over the phone by calling 1800 007 007.
If you or your client are having difficulty contacting our advice service because of a disability or problems using an interpreter service, please let us know on our administration line (02) 9212 4216.
If you are simply having difficulty getting through to us, please be patient and persistent – we are a small service with limited resources and we are often very busy! You can leave a message if you wait long enough.
Need an Interpreter or have a hearing disability?
Interpreters are available by calling 131 450, and for the hearing or speech impaired, we recommend the National Relay Service which is a service provided by the Australian Communication Exchange (TTY) 133 677 (SRS) 1300 555 727.
What YOU should do BEFORE you call
- Read any relevant Factsheets on our website.
- Please do NOT call on behalf of someone else. We will NOT be able to help you.
- Please have any relevant documents at hand. Examples could include:
- Bank statements
- Bills and account statements
- Legal notices
- Letters received
- Please have a PEN and PAPER handy, as we will often give you phone numbers to call or websites to visit.
- Think about what you are hoping to achieve in your situation.
Legal Assistance (not just Legal Advice)
In some cases, clients may be eligible for Written Advice or Further Assistance from Financial Rights Legal Centre. Read Legal Assistance for details.
The National Debt Helpline assists by providing:
- Detailed advice and strategies for dealing with financial difficulties
- Detailed advice and strategies for negotiating with creditors
- Legal advice
- Information about court processes in relation to debt collection
- Referrals to face-to-face financial counselling and information on how to prepare for a financial counselling appointment
- Information and referrals to other services
- Reassurance and perspective about financial matters
- Representation and casework in limited circumstances