Instructions to Users:
Step 1: Read our Legal Information Factsheets
Step 2: Find the correct address to send this letter to your bank.
You will need to send this request to your lender’s internal dispute resolution contact.
- Click here to get these details from the Financial Ombudsman Australia (FOS) website [Use Find a Financial Services Provider] or here for Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) [Use Search for a participating financial services provider (FSP)].
- Your lender will usually be required to be a member of one of these schemes by law.
- If you cannot find the lender in either scheme using the financial service provider search function on the home pages of these schemes, call 1800 367 287 and ask for the lender’s IDR contact details.
Step 3: Complete the questions below
- Answer the questions below to customise your letter.
- Once you have completed the questions click the Preview Letter button below. The letter generator will prompt you if there is missing information.
- If you realise you need to change your answers, use the Click here to change your selections feature, above or below the previewed letter. Do NOT use the back arrows on the address bar or you will need to start all over again.
Step 4: Copy & Paste the letter into your Email or Word program, and send it!
- You will need to copy & paste the generated letter into your email or into a Word document in order to send the letter to the other party.
- Once you have pasted the generated letter into your own email or Word program you can make additional changes to the main text of the letter, however we do not advise deleting any of the legal content that has been automatically generated.
WARNING: Cancelling a direct debit or cancelling a contract may result in negative consequences (such as default or early termination fees, or even legal action). If this is a loan, or you are not cancelling your contract for a service, you may need to set up alternative arrangements for payment. For advice about managing loans and direct debits call 1800 007 007.