Getting a loan
Taking out a loan for a property, car or other property is a big decision.
Be sure it’s the right one.
You can use these checklists to make sure you are taking the right steps:
- There are black marks on my Credit Report – Should I hire a Credit Repair Company?
- Pay Day Lending
- Your Credit Report
- Does the National Credit Act apply?
- Buy now, pay later services (including Afterpay, Humm, Zip, Klarna, Openpay)
- Consumer Leases
Thinking of using a Finance/Mortgage Broker?
Using a Broker to obtain finance or get a mortgage could end up costing you more than if you had obtained finance yourself!
Before you do anything seek free, independent advice and check out our Checklist: Using a finance/mortgage broker.
Problems with your loan
- Repossession (Car And Goods)
- Family Breakdown And Debt
- Dispute Resolution (Financial)
- How do I get copies of my loan documents?
- I’m finding it hard to manage my finances – should I sign up with a Personal Budgeting Service?
- Accessing Your Superannuation Early
- I Can’t Pay My Phone Debt
- I Can’t Pay My Electricity Debt
- Unauthorised Transactions
- Direct Debits From Credit Cards
- Direct Debits From Cheque And Savings Accounts
- Open Banking and the Consumer Data Right: What is it and what can I do when something goes wrong?
- I’m in debt – Should I sign up with a Debt Negotiation Firm?
- Debtor Harassment
- Dealing With Debt Collection
- Taking a toll – what do I do about Unpaid Tolls?
What is a debt agreement?
At some point, someone might propose that you enter a debt agreement. Debt agreements have serious consequences that you may not be aware of.
Before you take this step, it’s essential to get advice from a free, independent counsellor, contact: 1800 007 007.
The NSW Local Court
- The Sheriff And Seizure Of Goods
- Recovery Of Old Debts
- Making An Application To Pay By Instalments
- Debt Recovery in the Local Court
- Debt Enforcement in the Local Court
What if I receive a Statement of Claim?
A Statement of Claim is an official court document completed by someone who thinks you owe them money. If you receive a Statement of Claim, you need to act quickly!
Check out our Checklist: Statement of claim.
If you need advice about an insurance claim or issue check our Insurance Law Service.
If you need advice about a car insurance claim or issue head to Motor Vehicle Accidents.
- Making A Claim On Your Car Insurance
- What Can I Do If My Car Insurance Claim Is Refused?
- Your Vehicle has been ‘Written Off’
- My car has been written off by the insurer – What deductions can the insurer make?
- I’ve Had A Car Accident And I’m Uninsured
- Buying Car Insurance
- Rental Cars And Insurance
Why do I have to pay my excess?
Why do I have to pay my excess? Why do I have multiple excesses? Check out our fact sheet to understand more about what “excess” is and what you need to do.
Each insurer is different. Some insurers require you to pay an excess no matter who is at fault, others require you to provide specific details and convince the insurer you are not at fault. Find out more details about paying your excess by checking out our Checklist: Paying your excess.
- Should I get a courtesy car through a credit hire company?
- What do I do if I receive a demand for hire car costs from a credit hire company?
Home and Contents Insurance
- Making A Claim On My Home and/or Contents Insurance
- What Can I Do If My Home and/or Contents Insurance Claim Is Refused
- If a tree falls in a storm who pays for its removal?
- My Premiums Are Too High
- Title Insurance
- Detailed Bushfire Insurance Guide
- Bushfire Insurance Guide – short
- Flood Insurance Guide
- Storm Insurance
- Earthquake claims guide
- Flood Premiums
- Insurance Claims Management Services
Other Types of Insurance
- Pet peeves – Pet insurance and you
- R.I.P. Off! Why you don’t need Funeral Insurance
- Funeral Insurance Brochure
- Funeral insurance with Aboriginal Community Benefit Fund Pty Ltd
Problems with Your Insurance
- Help! My Insurance Claim Is Taking Forever!
- How To Use Your PDS
- Dispute Resolution (Insurance)
- Frequently Asked Insurance Questions
- Problem With The Quality Of Repairs (Arranged By The Insurer)
- What Can I Do If My Insurer Agrees To Pay Some, But Not All Of My Claim?
What can I do if I am being investigated by an insurer?
Check out our fact sheet to find out what you should do if you are being investigated on a general insurance claim.
Insurers are always on the lookout for fraud. If you have to participate in an insurance interview you have a duty to reasonably cooperate.
Make sure you know your rights and responsibilities when you are being investigated by checking out our Checklist: Insurance Interviews.
Mob Strong Factsheets
Aboriginal Community Benefit Fund (Youpla)
Aboriginal Community Benefit Fund has gone into liquidation. Read this factsheet to get up to date information on what this might mean for you.
Mob Strong is experiencing a very high volume of calls about ACBF. We’re sorry we haven’t been able to talk to you in detail.
We’re providing constant updates about what is happening with ACBF on Facebook. Please follow us. We will also keep updating information on this page, so please keep coming back for updates.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who have policies with ACBF should seek urgent legal advice.
Think before you click! Understand the risks of using buy now, pay later services.
Wage Advance services take the joy out of your payday! There are better alternatives out there if you need cash before payday.