Instructions to users:
Step 1: Read our fact sheet
If you are insured, get legal advice. If you are not insured you should consider reading our Car Accident when Uninsured fact sheet.
- Only use this letter if you are arguing the amount claimed is too much, which means you agree you owe some of it.
- Be prepared to pay, or start paying the amount you agree you owe immediately.
- It is important that the offer you are making to settle covers the entire dispute. The terms of an offer vary depending on the circumstances. It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice on the terms of the offer. Call our Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464.
If you have any questions about how or when to use this letter or if you need advice before completing it, please call our Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464 for legal advice. Or call 1800 007 007 for financial counselling advice.
Step 2: Find the correct address to send this letter to the other driver’s insurer
You will need to send this request to the insurer’s complaints department contact. Find the insurer’s complaint department details from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) ‘find a financial firm’ web page or you can phone AFCA on 1800 931 678 to ask for the insurer’s internal dispute resolution contact details.
Step 3: Complete the questions below
- Answer the questions below to customise your letter.
- Click the Preview Letter button below. You will be prompted if there is missing information.
- To make changes to your answers, use the Click here to change your selections feature, on the preview letter page.
Step 4: Copy & Paste the letter into your email or Word program, and send it!
- Copy & paste the letter into your email or a Word document.
- You can make other changes but be careful about changing the auto-generated content – get advice first.
- Email or post the letter to the insurer.
Have you used one of these Sample Letters? Was it helpful? We would really appreciate your feedback. Take our 2 minute survey
Last updated: July 2019.