Instructions to users:
Step 1: Read our fact sheet
Before using this letter, read our fact sheet about Paying Insurance Excess.
If you have any questions about how or when to use this letter or if you need advice before completing it, please call our Insurance Law Service on 1300 663 464 for legal advice. Or call 1800 007 007 for financial counselling advice.
Step 2: Find the correct address to send this letter to your insurer
You will need to send this request to the insurer’s complaints department contact. Find the insurer’s complaint department details from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) ‘find a financial firm’ web page or you can phone AFCA on 1800 931 678 to ask for the insurer’s internal dispute resolution contact details.
Step 3: Complete the questions below
- Answer the questions below to customise your letter.
- Click the Preview Letter button below. You will be prompted if there is missing information.
- To make changes to your answers, use the Click here to change your selections feature, on the preview letter page.
Step 4: Copy & Paste the letter into your email or Word program, and send it!
- Copy & paste the letter into your email or a Word document.
- You can make other changes but be careful about changing the auto-generated content – get advice first.
- Email or post the letter to the insurer.
Have you used one of these Sample Letters? Was it helpful? We would really appreciate your feedback. Take our 2 minute survey
Last updated: July 2022.