Instructions to users:
Step 1: Read our legal information fact sheets
Step 2: Find the correct address to send this letter to your bank.
You will need to send this request to your lender’s internal dispute resolution contact. You can obtain these details from:
- the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) ‘find a financial firm’ web page
- or you can phone AFCA on 1800 931 678 to ask for the insurer’s IDR contact details
Step 3: Complete the questions below
- Answer the questions below to customise your letter.
- Once you have completed the questions click the Preview Letter button below. The letter generator will prompt you if there is missing information.
- If you realise you need to change your answers, use the Click here to change your selections feature, above or below the previewed letter. Do NOT use the back arrows on the address bar or you will need to start all over again.
Step 4: Copy & Paste the letter into your Email or Word program, and send it!
- You will need to copy & paste the generated letter into your email or into a Word document in order to send the letter to the other party.
- Once you have pasted the generated letter into your own email or Word program you can make additional changes to the main text of the letter, however we do not advise deleting any of the legal content that has been automatically generated.
WARNING: Cancelling a direct debit or cancelling a contract may result in negative consequences (such as default or early termination fees, or even legal action). If this is a loan, or you are not cancelling your contract for a service, you may need to set up alternative arrangements for payment. For advice about managing loans and direct debits call 1800 007 007.
Have you used one of these Sample Letters? Was it helpful? We would really appreciate your feedback. Take our 2 minute survey
Last updated: October 2018.